Friday, May 15, 2015

Competency 5- Phonics and Sight Words: Terminology and Concepts

RICA Reflection
Competency 5: Phonics and Sight Words: Terminology and Concepts


Introduction
RICA Competency number 5 addresses understanding important terminology and concepts involved in phonics instruction and recognize the role of phonics and sight words in reading development.


Personal Connection/Evidence
There are many ways in which I have engaged with this competency.


Sight Words are located in several of the books  I have read with my tutee. I have made a list of sight words that my students have struggled with and we have reviewed these words so they become part of their repertoire.





Vowel and Consonant digraphs  were used when I noticed that my reading student struggled with the /oa/, /op/,/sh/ rime. We worked for three weeks making sure that she understood the different types of digraphs. An example of some of the words are boat, coast, road, hop, pop, stop, shop, dish, share.


I have worked on increasing the difficulty in common word patterns. When we read together books that have been increasing in lengths of the words to try to challenge and motivate. The longer CVCC words are the more that my tutees are struggling with. I have done a word sort where they are making words out of certain word families. SH + OP= Shop, or G+OA+T= Goat.  I will continue to work on this with them to ensure success.  


I encourage my tutee to be a phonetic speller. When she comes across a word she does not know how to spell, I I encourage my tutee to use what she knows about sounds and letters to write unknown words even if the words might be spelled wrong. Then, I analyze my tutees writing and develop a simple mini lesson to help improve my tutee's spelling. For example, my tutee was misspelling the word rain as rayn. So, I explicitly taught her how to spell a few word with the vowel digraph ai.


Text-to-Text Connections
“Such words are called sight words because they appear to be recognized and pronounced on sight, without and conscious application of decoding or word analysis strategies.” (Phonics, Phonemic Awareness, and Word Analysis for Teachers pg. 61)


Vowel Digraphs are two vowels that are adjacent to one another. The first vowel is usually long and the second is silent. (RLTR pg. 187) For some fun worksheets on vowel digraphs click here


Phonemic Awareness is the ability to hear and manipulate sounds in spoken words, the understanding that spoken words consist of a sequence if speech sounds, and an awareness of individual sounds (phonemes). “ (RLTR pg. 132)


TPE Connections
TPE 2: Monitoring Student Learning During Instruction
TPE 4: Making Content Accessible
TPE 5: Student Engagement
TPE 6: Developmentally Appropriate Teaching Practice



No comments:

Post a Comment